What does it take to hit the ball further off the tee?
- JB Holmes recorded the average driving distance of 318.5 yards in 2011 and is world-renowned for his driving ability.
- Holmes has four PGA Tour wins over the course of his career and has appeared in two Ryder Cup victories.
- JB Holmes' powerful driving ability is a trademark and he puts it down to mastering his swing pattern, rather than trying to change his playing style.
- Holmes also improves his hip flexibility with foam roll exercises in his workouts, which boost his driving ability.
What makes a great bunker player?
- Rickie Fowler achieved an average sand save percentage of 68.66% in 2017 and is adept at getting himself out of tricky bunker situations.
- With 4 PGA Tour wins and 3 Ryder Cup appearances to his name, Fowler has become one of the biggest names in modern golf.
- Fowler owes his extraordinary bunker play to an excellent posture and a centred position.
- In training, Fowler focuses on sprints, core workouts and deadlifts, which help to provide a strong core to generate more power for bunker shots.
What does it take to sink more putts?
- Jordan Spieth recorded a one putt percentage of 45.86% in 2014 and his putting is one of the key reasons for his amazing success.
- At the age of 24, Spieth already has 11 PGA Tour wins including three majors.
- Spieth ensures his feet alignment matches his clubface and reads each putt based on the speed he wants to hit the ball.
- Weight training, circuit training and sleep tracking are key parts of Spieth's training routine, which helps him to continue to sink birdies on the PGA Tour.
What does it take to hit more greens in regulation?
- Henrik Stenson has the best greens in regulation according to our research, achieving 73.52% in 2015.
- With 6 PGA tour wins including one major, Stenson has become a key player on the world golf circuit.
- Stenson says his successful play is partly thanks to having a good forward tilt. He tils from his pelvis until his arms hang down and can swing beneath his sternum. For approach play, he advises golfers to his down on the ball rather than up.
- In practice, Stenson uses a club with a curved shaft to help generate the best possible impact position. This helps make his iron shots muc more consistent.
What the Mentality of a Winner?
- Tiger Woods has fallen on hard times in recent years, but he has the most wins in one season in the last decade - 9 in 2009.
- At his peak, Tiger Woods was outstanding and his list of accolades is extensive. 79 PGA Tour wins and 14 majors make him one of the greatest golfers of all time.
- Mental strength is always a difficult trait to measure and Tiger never gave away any of his secrets in his prime, but his father credits his mental strength to never giving up when he was a lead.
- Woods played a key role in changing the culture of health and fitness. His approach to high-rep weight-training and stretching has influenced many golfers over time.
- Best average driving distance: JB Holmes – 318.5 yards (2011)
- Best sand save percentage: Rickie Fowler – 68.66% (2017)
- Best one putt percentage: Jordan Spieth – 45.86% (2014)
- Best greens in regulation percentage: Henrik Stenson – 73.52% (2015)
- Best mental strength: Tiger Woods – 9 wins (2009) (As mental strength is difficult to measure, we looked at who had the highest number of wins in one season, as mental resolve is of paramount importance at the lofty heights of the PGA Tour finals)
We used statistics from the last decade of the PGA Tour to see who was the best in each category. Rather than looking at play over the course of ten years, we looked at the best average driving distance, sand save percentage, one putt percentage, greens in regulation percentage and the highest number of wins for each year and identified the best overall in each category.
As well as this, we researched the exercise regimes of the five players to understand what gives them a cutting edge above their competition. We also spoke to trainers to deliver some general tips for amateurs to
HOW WE CALCULATED PRACTICE TIMES
To calculate our recommended practice times, we spoke to a variety of trainers to understand the kind of skills you’ll need to prioritise and how to make the most of your time on the course. By focusing your time on each of the categories, you can gradually improve your abilities without committing too much time to the sport.
OG News: Jarrod Lyle confirms he's in "palliative care"
The golf world, and many out of it, have been left rocked by the news that Jarrod Lyle is going into palliative care after claiming he is “no longer able to fight.”
OG News: Two events left for McDowell to secure PGA Tour card
Graeme McDowell will have just two events to secure a PGA Tour card which would enable him to play in the United States next year after failing to qualify for next week's USPGA Championship in Missouri.
OG News: Leona & Lisa Maguire sign deals with Puma Golf
PUMA Golf a leader in golf apparel, footwear and accessories are pleased to announce the signing of sisters Leona & Lisa Maguire with immediate effect.
- OG News: Aaron Wise – rookie wins maiden PGA event club.news.more.posteddate 21/05/2018
- OG News: Masters is biggest competition, says McIlroy club.news.more.posteddate 04/05/2018
- OG News: Campaign launched to help amputee golfer club.news.more.posteddate 26/04/2018
- OG News: The Masters 2018 tee off times club.news.more.posteddate 05/04/2018
- OG News: Sergio Garcia has fan ejected club.news.more.posteddate 23/03/2018
- OG News: Tiger Woods will play Ryder Cup, says Chamblee club.news.more.posteddate 01/03/2018
- OG News: Paul Casey reveals Ryder Cup dream club.news.more.posteddate 12/02/2018
- OG News: McDowell falls out of world top 200 club.news.more.posteddate 24/01/2018
- OG News: Coach would be 'shocked' if Tiger doesn't win in 2018 club.news.more.posteddate 18/01/2018
- OG News: Ian Poulter receives WGC trophy... 5 years later club.news.more.posteddate 12/01/2018
- OG News: McIlroy’s mansion goes up for sale at $12.9 million club.news.more.posteddate 10/01/2018
- OG News: Fowler ranked No.1 on list of 'Best-Mannered People' club.news.more.posteddate 05/01/2018
- OG News: Meet the TaylorMade M3 & M4 Metalwoods club.news.more.posteddate 02/01/2018
Video: Callaway Chrome Soft & Chrome Soft X
Chrome Soft Golf Balls combine Tour-proven performance with unparalleled feel and exceptional mis-hit forgiveness. Everything about the ball that changed the ball is better because of the innovation at every layer, starting with Callaway's groundbreaking new Graphene Dual SoftFast.
Video: Cobra Golf KING F8 Iron Tech
KING® F8 Variable and ONE Length™ irons are equipped with COBRA CONNECT™. Automatic shot tracking technology Powered By Arccos™.
The driver face is outdated. TaylorMade thinks its found the solution and sat down with five of its biggest players to see their reactions as the most twisted driver innovation is revealed. Are you ready to see?
- Video: TaylorMade Milled Grind Golf Wedge club.news.more.posteddate 26/09/2017
- Video: Mizuno MP-18 Steel Irons club.news.more.posteddate 06/09/2017
- GolfBuddy WTX GPS Watch club.news.more.posteddate 30/08/2017
- Video: Cobra Golf Introduce the F-MAX club.news.more.posteddate 10/08/2017
- Video: Test-driving PING G400 range club.news.more.posteddate 10/07/2017
- Video: PING golfers test-drive G400 Driver club.news.more.posteddate 10/07/2017
- Video: PING golfers test-drive G400 Hybrid club.news.more.posteddate 10/07/2017
- Video: PING golfers test-drive G400 Irons club.news.more.posteddate 10/07/2017
- Video: PING golfers test-drive G400 Crossover club.news.more.posteddate 10/07/2017
- Video: PING golfers test-drive G400 Fairway Wood club.news.more.posteddate 10/07/2017
- Motocaddy S5 Connect Electric Golf Trolley - Video club.news.more.posteddate 23/06/2017
- Rory McIlroy | Swing Checklist -Video club.news.more.posteddate 28/03/2017
- Rory McIlroy | Power Through Impact -Video club.news.more.posteddate 13/03/2017